Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Paranoia

While security cameras and mega cops will almost certainly keep away the theives and crooks, they most definitely will not keep away the bugs. There is currently a semi-large moth under a piece of tupperware that I forgot to free outside this morning and there must be ants living in the woodwork. But that's just the beginning. Japan is full of large insects, most terrifyingly the mukade, or 8-10 inch long centipede that delivers a nasty bite. They LOVE inhabiting Japanese houses. Jay said that just the other day, he was about to put his pants on when he noticed a mukade spanning across the inside of his pant leg. Eesh. Not looking forward to that. There are bees that don't sting and are apparently eaten by a good number of people, and there is a giant killer wasp (not quite, but you may have to visit the hospital if it stings you), and I have seen one of these wasps in my backyard. Hopefully he's not a frequent visitor.

Living alone in a house is going to take some getting used to. I jump at every unknown thump, click, and flutter, and even playing music doesn't quite get rid of the heeby-jeebies. I'm trying to resist the urge to live on just pasta and eggs, which are easy, comforting foods to make in a pantry full of mysterious labels and strange smells. Since I'm the only one eating, I just rinse and reuse my fork and bowl after every meal (yea, I still use a fork when I'm in my own house). Buying and making rice is easy, and noodles, but bread is sold in 5-slice loaves, where the slices are super thick and the bread is rich and sweet. Investing in a bread-maker is starting to sound like a good idea. One more thing, the soy sauce here is really good in some really subtle way - much better than any soy sauce I've had at home. I guess if you eat it with virtually every meal, you might as well make it tastier.

Pictures will be forthcoming!! Sorry for delaying on this point. The house is a total mess right now - I just emptied a couple of drawers worth of teaching materials. It's almost overwhelming. Emily (who was here before Jay) was obsessed with laminating things. There are Easter, Christmas, Valentine's Day and Thanksgiving signs and stories with their translations and a bajillion flash cards. I just organized a big drawer of Christmas stuff, which included lots of little ornaments, fake snow fluff, 3 windchimes, 2 stockings, 2.5 santa costumes, and 2 mini christmas trees. Next drawer: Halloween. This time I'll take allergy medicine, since I think I stirred up a whole lot of residual cat hair. Emily, and then Jay had a cat, which is thankfully no longer there, and many of the walls and mats have been replaced due to cat damage. But it does make me wonder if I'll get a pet. Maybe a guinea pig. Jonathan suggested a tarantula so it can eat the bugs. Dunno if it would be big enough to eat a mukade, though. Hedgehogs eat bugs. Do they have hedgehogs in Japan?

3 comments:

  1. Only ソニック, and good luck catching him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. duh Carl, she just has to throw up some spikes and he will be stunned for a second, didn't you play the games, lol. Also those non-stinging bees kill those super scary crazy murdering wasps by surrounding him and over-heating him, crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is only assuming he has no more rings of course

    ReplyDelete