Monday, August 9, 2010

Clean-Up Time

So last night was Enkai (Drinking Party) #2. I don't remember getting home, but I woke up this morning to find myself in my pajamas, my clothes mysteriously ended up where they should be (hung or in the laundry pile), and I apparently wrote half an illegible journal entry (I found my journal open, face-down next to the dirty laundry - maybe I was writing while I was changing? And it really is illegible, which is a bummer, since I would like to know what I was thinking in that state). The party was a lot of fun, at least up to the part I remember. Japanese people drink a lot and I really should not be encouraged like this. The party was held at the superintendent's Gi-normous House, which included 3 houses, a gazebo for barbecueing, a gorgeous rock garden, a huge plant-growing garden, and a toilet that does Crazy Things!! When you open the bathroom door, the lid automatically lifts up and there is a panel of about 10-15 different toilet functions. Thankfully,  the hostess was kind enough to point out which one was the Flush Button - helped prevent any unwanted surprises. Honestly, there was probably an eject button on that thing.

Breakfast this morning was refried red beans. I don't know how they cook red beans here, but beans are beans are beans so I did one of the only things I know to do with them: cook, mash, and fry. It was rather tasty.  Then I walked to the office, and on my way I noticed all the office workers were outside. With brooms. Sweeping the parking lot. In their office clothes. Hm. So I asked if I should help, and we all swept up the leaves and bagged them together in the very hot morning sun. That must have been what the announcement was about this morning.

Which reminds me, have I told you yet about the village PA system? It's like something out of World War II or 1984. The announcements so far have been for things like the women's club meeting, or (apparently) Clean Up Time. Fairly innocent as far as I can tell, but it seems to me that the effect is a colony of workers acting as One, as though all Japanese people were linked to one giant brain. It is a very group-oriented society.

1 comment:

  1. This is incredible. Or just really creepy. Is it just me, or are all Americans unnerved by this type of collective action? Also, what do Japanese people think when they move abroad?

    ReplyDelete